Drop-in Sessions and Scheduled 30 Minute Appointments
Talk with DCP career education staff on-campus or online. Discuss your career plan, the internship and job search process, graduate school planning, or review your resume and cover letter.
- We encourage you to make an appointment with a career educator through Handshake. Both in-person and virtual appointments are available. To make an appointment, log in to your Handshake account and select Career Center at the top right. Then, click on the "Appointments" button to schedule an appointment.
10 Minute In-person Drop-in Sessions
- Fall drop-ins begin Week One through Finals Week (Thurs, Sept. 28 – Fri. Dec. 15).
- Fall drop-ins will take place at the DCP lobby and (weather permitting) on our patio, Monday through Wednesday from 12 noon to 2:00 p.m. Stop by with your quick career questions and meet with us! DCP is located at the Student Services 1 building, across from the Student Center Starbucks. View directions to our office here.
- We have added VIRTUAL drop ins. Virtual drop-ins for Fall quarter are on Thursdays and Fridays 12 noon to 1:00 p.m. from Week One through Finals Week (Thurs, Sept. 28 – Fri. Dec. 15). For Virtual Drop-ins, consult Handshake. Here is the registration link: Virtual Drop-Ins. Please Note: You do not need to join exactly at noon and if we are busy we may need to stop accepting virtual drop in requests before 1:00 pm
- Typical topics for drop-ins include an overview of our services, internship and job search tips, how to use Handshake, quick interview prep, questions about graduate and professional school admissions, and resume and cover letter reviews.
- If we can't address your concern in a quick drop-in, you can sign up for a 30 Minute Virtual and In-person Career Planning Appointment (see below). In addition, we have many online tools available anytime, such as Big Interview for interview assistance, and Focus 2 Career for career assessments.
- Please Note: If in person and virtual drop-ins are busy, we may stop accepting drop-in requests before 2:00 p.m. (in person) and before 1:00 p.m. (virtual).
- Fall Dates and Times for Drop In Sessions
9/28/23 - 12/15/23
Monday (In person): Noon-2:00 pm
Tuesday (In person): Noon -2:00 pm
Wednesday (In person): Noon-2:00 pm
Thursday (Virtual): Noon-1:00 pm
Friday (Virtual): Noon-1:00 pm
30 Minute Virtual and In-person Career Planning Appointments
- Schedule online from your Handshake homepage, select Career Center from the menu across the top of the page and then Appointments
- Click on Schedule A New Appointment
- These sessions are for exploring navigating the career development process including self assessment, career exploration, the job/internship search process, or graduate school planning
- We have also added mini-sessions which can be used for resume and cover letter reviews
Finding Career Planning Appointments
- Current UCI students can make appointments directly on Handshake.
- Each week appointments are made available on Handshake by Thursday, 5 pm for the upcoming week.
- There are times where there may be more UCI students seeking appointments than appointments available.
- It is recommended that students check Handshake for appointments on a weekly basis.
- If after logging in Handshake and checking for appointments for three consecutive weeks (without finding an available appointment), complete the form below explaining your situation including your name, major, year, and reason for appointment.
Please Note: It is important to complete all sections of the form including the specific weeks, Please specify weeks and academic year (Example: "Week 6", "Week 7", "Week 8", "Fall ’24"). Please do not put NA under weeks.
IMPORTANT: Please list THREE DIFFERENT CONSECUTIVE WEEKS you have been looking and not the same week or the form will be returned.
Career Planning Appointments
Note: Please only submit the form below if you have been searching for appointments for three consecutive weeks.
Late Arrival Policy
- For Counseling Appointments
Students who log or arrive in more than 10 minutes late for an appointment will have their appointment automatically canceled. The student will then need to reschedule their appointment on Handshake. Career educators update their availability weekly, but students are also encouraged to check Handshake regularly in case appointment times become available due to cancellations
* Appointments are subject to change or cancellation during holiday periods, recesses, breaks or special campus ceremonies. To confirm appointments during these periods or events, please contact the DCP at (949) 824-6881.
- Assessment Resources
- California Career Zone
- O*NET Online – Occupation Information Database
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
Please feel free to share any feedback on your career appointment to firstname.lastname@example.org.